Monday, August 24, 2009

Dog for a Day

Meet Sheamus... My Dog for a Day

Since losing my beloved Sierra in May, my life has been devoid of love and warmth. I thought about adopting another elderly cocker spaniel, but hesitate because my health is poor. Adoption is a serious commitment.

Fortunately for me, my landlord has a lovely little well -behaved male Westie who just LOVES riding in the car! Sheamus has become my "Dog for a Day". Whenever I feel up to having him visit or keep me company when I run errands, Sheamus jumps at the opportunity to venture out with his Auntie Lu.

Sheamus is an intelligent little boy.. a real pleasure. He sits in the front seat (something I could not allow Sierra to do as it was impossible to keep her off my lap while driving, so she sat in back like a little queen.)

Dogs are sensitive to human frailty and disability. Sheamus knows instinctively that I do not have the strength to hold him if should he exert his considerable strength and pull me around at the end of his leash. He is the perfect little gentleman and brings joy to my life.

Although he cannot replace the emptiness in my heart that a canine companion of my own can fill, his presence is a gift which only a gentle, loving dog can give.


Sheamus & I enjoy an outing at Shawme-Crowell State Forest

No comments: