Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Good Father of the Feathered Kind

A bright sight on this gray and rainy day... A male cardinal feeding his young offspring. This male is caring for two males and one female. Parents continue to feed chicks for 25 to 56 days after they fledge from the nest.



The young bird flutters its wings in food-begging fashion...

This Cardinal continues to feed his young even after they have grown almost as large as he.

What could be more heart warming than this sight on a dreary day...just outside my door.

2 comments:

Woody Wheeler said...

Greetings - I love your photo of the Cardinal feeding its young. Could I have permission to post this photo to a blog I am writing about baby birds, soon to be posted at www.conservationcatalyst.org
I would credit you for the photo.

Please let me know and keep up the great posts!

Woody Wheeler

Lucille said...

Greetings Woody,

Thank you for your compliment on the Cardinal photo! I am honored that you would like to use it. By all means, help yourself!

Please fell free to use any of my photos you like. I enjoy photographing birds and other wild life which regularly visit my little deck.

Here is the URL to one of my photo albums you might enjoy. Feel free to use!

http://picasaweb.google.com/luciacovelli/WhatISee?feat=directlink